The three houses on the property include a dogtrot or double log cabin possibly built before 1818, a somewhat later two-story Federal-style house (1830's), and the main wing built around 1872.
The Hickmans apparently sold their interest in the plantation, known as Pond Spring, to Colonel Benjamin Sherrod, partner in the initial purchase of the property. Colonel Sherrod was born in Halifax County, NC, migrated first to Georgia, then about 1818 settled in Alabama where he established several cotton plantations throughout the Tennessee River Valley. Sherrod's own home, Cotton Garden, was located north of the nearby town of Courtland, and it appears that his eldest son, Felix, and his family lived at the Pond Spring place.
The owner of more than 300 slaves, Benjamin Sherrod was an early Alabama tycoon, with extensive and varied business interests. He also served as chief promoter and stockholder of the Tuscumbia, Courtland, and Decatur Railroad. Completed in 1834, this was the first railroad in Alabama and one of the earliest west of the Applachian Mountains.
The Pond Spring plantation passed from Sherrod's son, Felix, to a grandson, also named Benjamin Sherrod. In 1859, Benjamin married Daniella Jones of nearby Caledonia plantation, and at the time of his premature death in 1861, the plantation became Daniella's.
Born in 1841, Daniella (known as Ella) Jones Sherrod was the daughter of Richard Harrison Jones and his wife, Lucy Early, who was the daughter of Georgia Governor Peter Early. The Jones family had moved from Georgia to Alabama in 1822.
After Benjamin Sherrod's death, Daniella returned to her parents' home, where in the fall of 1863, she met General Joseph Wheeler while he and his troops camped near the Jones home. They fell in love, and were married following the War in 1866.
Following their marriage, Joseph and Daniella lived in New Orleans for four years. They then returned to Alabama and the Pond Spring farm to raise their family. The main house, or the east wing, was built in the early-to-mid 1870's.